Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Baning Headwear on Drivers License: Safety before Morality

A Minnesota state legislature is considering introducing a bill that would prohibit headwear on state issued IDs on grounds of national security. A Muslim outcry erupted even before the bill got to the floor for a committee hearing simply because it is in opposition to “what God told us to do”, as a young Somali activist, Suban Khalif, puts it.

Ok, I don’t get it. As far as I’m concerned, safety is of a top priority. What is the harm for removing headgear for a quick 30-second photo ID shootout if it enhances our security? I’m not naïve. I understand the moral implications this issue presents for Muslim women, specifically. Muslims can and should adopt progressivism and compromise for the sake of national security, however.

I don’t get this line too: “The Muslim community points out that Jews, Christians and other religions would also be affected if the bill passed”.
Could someone, please, explain to me how this bill would affect Christian and Jews Americans. I cannot think of seeing a mainstream American woman wearing a head veil. Banning

No comments: